If you want a career in film, you have to prove just how talented you are. There are a few who make a mistake of not providing what the clients are after. No matter how difficult or how easy you make your demo reel, the important thing is that they see potential in your work. You have to work your magic with the help of some fcpx plugins to make sure you get a call back. Here are a few tips on how to make your demo reels.
- Variety – You only get one shot at it so you better give it your all. You don’t have to focus on just one difficult thing but show them that you are flexible to do almost everything in the industry. Compile all your best work in a single reel and make sure that each of them are meant to impress. Show them that you are great in visual effects, commercial videos, instructional videos, and other projects that you have done in the past. A wide range of skills and talents has a higher chance of being hired than just being focused on one thing.
- Emotion – You have to be great at capturing emotion. No matter how bad your actress or actors are, you have to edit and find that moment when you captured the emotion that you want them to portray in your reel. Make sure that you start building that emotion until you reached the climax.
- Music – If you try watching a film or a video without any sound you will feel that something is missing or lacking. The music plays a great part in a film and you need to carefully choose the background music for your video. It can be very influential in the emotion that you want to express. Choose something upbeat so that it can easily grab the attention of your viewers; just make sure it fits the video you are showing. Sync the video with the flow of the song and you will be able to create a harmonious reel.
- Finesse – Of course you would want to show off, this is the main reason you created the reel. Mae sure to include clips that will show that you can handle even the difficult and technical work because the experts can surely identify and see what these are. Be creative in your editing and make sure you skilfully entertain them.
- Have Some Fun – Make your reel fun and entertaining, you don’t have to be very serious in your reel and you can include some hilarious or funny clips that will still show your capability as a film maker. It shows if you had fun in creating your reel and you would feel happier about it. Remember that your creative side can flow freely if you just let loose and have fun with your work.
Hopefully these 5 tips help you create a reel that will impress others and showcase all your skills and capabilities. You can show your final work to your friends and family first and take constructive critism.